Joining the Flux community
We want the Flux project to be the vendor-neutral home for GitOps in a Cloud Native world.
Started 2016 to automate deployments at Weaveworks, the project has grown dramatically since then. Especially since the planning of Flux v2 and GitOps Toolkit SDK it was clearer that the scope became more ambitious and that the Flux project has become the home for the Flux family of projects, all solving specific GitOps needs.
We also want our community to be diverse, helpful, collaborative and a fun place to be, so we would love to have you join us!
Finding your interest
To get started, it’s important you find out which parts of Flux you are interested in first.
- Flux v1: https://github.com/fluxcd/flux
- As a Helm user: https://github.com/fluxcd/helm-operator (v1)
- If you are interested in progressive delivery, e.g. blue-green testing, etc. https://github.com/fluxcd/flagger
V2 - soon to replace all v1 projects:
And there is loads more under https://github.com/fluxcd, we all work on this as a community together.
Joining the community
All the projects have docs to help you get started, so a first step is obviously using the projects and getting some first-hand experience. Afterwards you can help out on Slack answering questions, maybe extend the docs or fix some small issues.
Up until we started defining governance the Flux project had implicit teams only - if at all. In reality we all were one big team. Of course every contributing member of the community had their own area of interest and motivation.
We are in the process of slowly formalising some team structures apart from “interest in one or more given sub-project(s)”. There currently are
All projects and teams are open to contributors and every part of the Flux project appreciates your help and consideration. Check out the links above to learn more about the team in question.
We run regular meetings and discuss things there. We are very happy if new users, contributors and developers join and we can put names to faces.
- Meeting times
- “early” meeting: Uneven weeks: Wed, 12:00 UTC
- “late” meeting: Even weeks: Thu, 15:00 UTC
- Agenda and minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l_M0om0qUEN_NNiGgpqJ2tvsF2iioHkaARDeh6b70B0/edit
- Flux calendar: https://lists.cncf.io/g/cncf-flux-dev/calendar
- Video recordings: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbx4FZ4kOKntmgJqaT-iJ8tn4xat150yL
We are looking forward to seeing you there.
Subscribing to the flux-dev calendar
To add the meetings to your e.g. Google calendar
- visit the Flux calendar
- click on “Subscribe to Calendar” at the very bottom of the page
- copy the iCalendar URL
- open e.g. your Google calendar
- find the “add calendar” option
- choose “add by URL”
- paste iCalendar URL (ends with
- 09-10 Jun 2021 - GitOps Days 2021
- 06 May 2021 - Flux: Multi-tenancy Deep Dive - Philip Laine at KubeCon 2021 Europe
- 05 May 2021 - Keynote: CNCF Project Update: Flux - Stefan Prodan at KubeCon 2021 Europe
- 05 May 2021 - Helm Users! What Flux Can Do For You - Scott Rigby & Kingdon Barrett at KubeCon 2021 Europe
- 04 - 07 May 2021 - Flux Pavilion at KubeCon EU! Talks and demos every 30 minutes! Say hello!
- 03 May 2021 - GitOpsCon at KubeCon EU!
- 29 Apr 2021 - Doing GitOps for multicloud resource management using Crossplane and Flux2 (at Conf42: Cloud Native 2021)
- 28 Apr 2021 - CNCF Cloud Native Live: Migrating from Flux v1 to Flux v2 with Leigh Capili
- 26 Apr 2021 - Setting Up Notifications, Alerts, & Webhooks with Alison Dowdney
- 08 Apr 2021 - GitOps Guide to the Galaxy (Ep 13): Digging deeper into Flux with Weaveworks - 3pm ET
- 06 Apr 2021 - Flux v2 on Azure with Leigh Capili
- 25 Mar 2021 - CNCF Webinar: Flux is Incubating + The Road Ahead
- 25 Mar 2021 - GitOps Guide to the Galaxy (Ep 12): Flux On OpenShift with Cornelia Davis & Scott Rigby
- 22 Mar 2021 - GitOps Hands-On Patterns for Helm Users with Scott Rigby
- 08 Mar 2021 - Migrating from Flux v1 to Flux v2 with Leigh Capili
- 25 Feb 2021 - Dallas Kubernetes Meetup: Introduction to GitOps with Flux & Flagger
- 22 Feb 2021 - Manage Kubernetes Secrets with Mozilla SOPS & Flux
- 08 Feb 2021 - Fluxv2 Image Update Automation Sneak Peak with Leigh Capili
- 25 Jan 2021 - GitOps Core Concepts & How to Teach Your Teams with Leigh Capili
- 11 Jan 2021 - Helm + GitOps = ⚡️⚡️⚡️ with Scott Rigby
- 14 Dec 2020 - The Power of GitOps with Flux and Flagger (GitOps Hands-On) with Leigh Capili
- 30 Nov 2020 - The Power of GitOps with Flux 2 - Part 3 with Leigh Capili
- 24 Nov 2020 - Flux CD v2 with GitOps Toolkit - Kubernetes Deployment and Sync Mechanism
- 13 Nov 2020 - The evolution of Flux with Stefan Prodan at GitOps Days EMEA
- 13 Nov 2020 - Helm Users! What Flux 2 can do for you! by Scott Rigby at GitOps Days EMEA
- 12 Nov 2020 - THe Power of GitOps with Flux v2: Managing Remote Clusters (CAPI demo) with Leigh Capili at GitOps Days EMEA
- 05 Nov 2020 - Philip Laine and Stefan Prodan: Flux v2 at Cloud Native Göteborg
- 02 Nov 2020 - The Power of GitOps with Flux & GitOps Toolkit - Part 2
- 28 Oct 2020 - The Kubelist Podcast: Flux with Michael Bridgen
- 19 Oct 2020 - The Power of GitOps with Flux & GitOps Toolkit - Part 1
- 12 Oct 2020 - Rawkode Live: Introduction to GitOps Toolkit with Stefan Prodan
- 04 Sep 2020 - KubeCon/CloudNativeCon Europe: The road to Flux v2 and Progressive Delivery with Stefan Prodan & Hidde Beydals
- 25 Jun 2020 - Cloud Native Nordics: Introduction to GitOps & GitOps Toolkit with Alexis Richardson & Stefan Prodan
- 07 May 2020 - GitOps Days - Community Special: GitOps Toolkit Experimentation with Stefan Prodan
- Join our upcoming dev meetings
- Talk to us in the #flux channel on CNCF Slack
- Join the planning discussions
- And if you are completely new to Flux and the GitOps Toolkit, take a look at our Get Started guide and give us feedback
- To be part of the conversation about Flux’s development, join the flux-dev mailing list.
- Social media: Follow Flux on Twitter, join the discussion in the Flux LinkedIn group.
- Check out how to contribute