This documentation is for Flux (v1) and Helm Operator (v1). Both projects are in maintenance mode and will soon reach end-of-life. We strongly recommend you familiarise yourself with the newest Flux and start looking at your migration path.
For documentation regarding the latest Flux, please refer to this section.
The Helm Operator is a Kubernetes operator, allowing one to declaratively manage Helm chart releases. Combined with Flux this can be utilized to automate releases in a GitOps manner, but the usage of Flux is not a strict requirement.
The desired state of a Helm release is described through a Kubernetes
Custom Resource named
HelmRelease. Based on the creation, mutation or
removal of a
HelmRelease resource in the cluster, Helm actions are
performed by the operator.
- Declarative install, upgrade, and delete of Helm releases
- Pulls chart from any chart source;
- Public or private Helm repositories over HTTP/S
- Public or private Git repositories over HTTPS or SSH
- Any other public or private chart source using one of the available Helm downloader plugins
- Allows Helm values to be specified;
- In-line in the
- In (external) sources, e.g.
Secretresources, or a (local) URL
- In-line in the
- Automated purging on release install failures
- Automated (optional) rollback on upgrade failures
- Automated (optional) helm test gating of installs and upgrades.
- Automated image upgrades using Flux
- Automated (configurable) chart dependency updates for Helm charts from Git sources on install or upgrade
- Detection and recovery from Helm storage mutations (e.g. a manual Helm release that was made but conflicts with the declared configuration for the release)
- Parallel and scalable processing of different
HelmReleaseresources using workers
- Supports both Helm 2 and 3
- Supports automatic Helm migrations from v2 to v3
Get started installing the Helm Operator:
As the Helm Operator is Open Source, integrations are very straight-forward. Here are a few popular ones you might want to check out:
- Progressive Delivery workshop
- Managing Helm releases the GitOps way
- GitOps for Istio Canary deployments
If you have any questions about the Helm Operator and continuous delivery:
- Invite yourself to the CNCF community slack and ask a question on the #flux channel.
- To be part of the conversation about Helm Operator’s development, join the flux-dev mailing list.
- File an issue.
Your feedback is always welcome!